Basic Safety Training
This training is required in order to use the laser
Due to Covid-19 complications, training is now hybrid remote/in-person. Process is:
About 90 minutes
Go to "Online Training" below. Watch YouTube video, and as-instructed, download software and follow along.
When done - contact instructor via slack or email@example.com You will be given a brief final project. Complete it and send back a screenshot of the project
After completion of the project, you will complete another video on safety and laser operation.
After watching the second video, contact trainer. You will then be allowed to set up one-one-one time with an instructor for final training and authorization.
Summary: A short introduction to using the 80 Watt CNC Laser Cutter available in the lab.
Schedule: Classes will be held as demand dictates
Fee: Free for Pro, $20 for Hobbyist
Contact: Brad Goodman
For You and the Laser
Types and thicknesses of materials that can be cut or engraved
What should never, EVER, be used in the laser
Using LaserCut 5.3
Setting Cut/Engrave Parameters
Uploading Jobs to the Laser
Setting up the Laser
Positioning the Work Piece
Checking Project Dimensions
Verify Chiller, Blower, Exhaust
Cutting / Engraving
Using the Rotary Attachment
Cleaning the Lens and Mirrors
Video of Proper handling of a Laser Fire
1. Before you start SEE HERE on how to download and install the software.
2. At the bottom of this page is the Person.dxf file I use in Part One of the video. Download it so you can import and play along with the video. (The SVG version is here to if you want to try short part I do in Inkscape, too).
3. Watch Video #1 (below) - Introduction to LaserCut
4. When you are done, contact RM for a short project. Upon completion of the project...
5. Watch Video #2
6. After completing Video #2, you can schedule an in-person check-out with the RM.