The Band Saw has a thin vertical blade that allows cutting curves, resawing, and large depth cuts on thick material. To avoid accidents, the following operational safety rules must be observed by everyone working on the band saw. Failure to follow the safety rules will result in a loss of shop privileges.
Band Saw Safety Rules:
1. Follow the 3” rule from the blade; always keep fingers 3” from the blade.
2. Check the blade tension and tracking before starting.
3. Don’t cut stock that is not flat on the bottom without a jig.
4. Keep a balanced stance at the band saw.
5. Never clear small pieces while the blade is moving.
6. Never use your thumbs to push toward the blade.
7. Never back out of a curve cut while the machine is running.