The widespread use of routers is based on their ability to perform an extensive range of smooth finishing and decorative cuts. To avoid accidents, the following operational safety rules must be observed by everyone working on the MakeIt Labs Routers. Failure to follow the safety rules will result in a loss of shop privileges.
Router Safety Rules:
1. Always choose the correct tool and the proper accessory for your job.
2. Sharp bits must be handled with care. Never use dull or damaged bits that can snap during use. Dull bits tend to overload, causing possibility of bit breakage.
3. Never use bits that have a cutting diameter greater than the opening in the router base.
4. When changing a bit make sure that the router is unplugged from the power source.
5. Make certain that the bit shaft is engaged in the collet at least ½ inch.
6. Never bottom out the router bit, as this will damage the collet.
7. Always use the wrenches provided with the tool to make adjustments. Using the correct wrench enables a more secure grip on the tool and may prevent slipping.
8. If using a bit left in the machine, after changing the bit, or making any adjustments, make sure the collet nut and any other adjustment devices are securely tightened. Loose adjustment devices
can unexpectedly shift causing loss of control;loose rotating components may be violently thrown.
Start with a Risk Assessment to ensure a safe work area:
1. A two foot perimeter around the router should be kept clear of people, debris that impair traction or footing to avoid slips.
2. Safety glasses with side shields or a face shield must be worn. Hearing protection should be worn.
3. Use the appropriate mask or respirator in dusty work conditions.
4. Remove loose fitting clothing, jewelry, tie back long hair, and do not wear gloves.
5. Give the work your undivided attention.